The smell of peppers and onions cooking on the stove top is a smell that brings me back to my childhood. It is the signature smell of my moms cooking, so much so, that my wife used to say that the first thing she thought of when visiting my parents was the sausage, peppers, and onions cooking on the stove. If you ditch the roll and eat this with a side salad or on top of spaghetti squash, you will have a Keto friendly meal that is super easy to make.
¼ c virgin olive oil
1 lb. Cove Creek Farm loose sausage (mild, medium, or hot)
2 red bell peppers, seeded and sliced
2 yellow onions, sliced
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
½ tsp dried oregano
½ c fresh basil leaves
4 garlic cloves, chopped
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 c Marsala wine
1 15oz can diced tomatoes
½ c shredded Italian style cheese, for garnish
4-6 fresh Italian sub rolls, optional
4-6 slices of freshly sliced provolone cheese
- Heat the oil in a heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add the sausage and cook until brown, about 8 minutes.
- Add the peppers, onions, salt, and pepper and cook until golden, about 6 minutes. Add the oregano, basil, and garlic and cook 2 more minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and stir.
- Add the Marsala wine and tomatoes. Stir to combine, scraping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon to release all the browned bits. Bring to a simmer and cook until the sauce has thickened, about 15 minutes.
- Serve in bowls, garnished with Italian cheese or serve on Italian sub rolls with sliced provolone cheese.